Building websites with WordPress CMS is a great experience to developers and non-developers all over the world. WordPress works entirely on themes and templates. WordPress Themes allow users to change the look and functionality of a WordPress website and they can be installed without altering the content or health of the site. The main thing that is very important is the Security of the website and the question that arises for it is,
Why WordPress Theme Security is Important?
Reasons are as follows:
- Hackers may access your blog for their use if your theme is not secured.
- Vulnerability of WordPress themes might slowdown your Website.
There are multiple themes for WordPress CMS, whether free or premium, these are enough to get desired appearance of your site. It is very important that you get secured WordPress themes. Theme Developers all over the world has different strategies of releasing themes free of cost or paid versions. Some strategies behind releasing free themes are as below:
1. Releasing basic version of WordPress theme free of cost on websites like wordpress.org is the very first choice of developers. It makes them easy to spread their product ‘Theme’ among WordPress followers thereby increasing the direction rate of users from free towards premium themes.
2. There are developers who actually build links of their other products and websites through these communities to make their services more viral.
3. There are some instances when some developers build themes with malicious scripts/unsafe or unwanted code to run some hacking code on other’s server. Following are some of the reasons of doing so-
- To get back links from your blog
- To get access to your blog
- To redirect your blog to spam links
- To add their advertisements and banners to your site
- Or to simply make your website slow down
So here the question arises,
How to Check if your WordPress Theme is Safe to Use?
This question is answered by our PurposeThemes’ Team with 3 different options as follows:
- Check the theme template files from the respective theme folder, whether they are built according to WordPress Standards.
- Another way is you can check the Page Source from frontend and find corrections accordingly.
- The best way to check malicious scripts or unwanted code of your WP Theme is using the Theme Authenticity Checker (TAC) plugin.
Theme Authenticity Checker (TAC) plugin:
This plugin has extraordinary potential to scan all your WordPress themes’ files and detect the unsafe code within minutes. TAC searches all the WordPress themes installed within wp-content folder and their respective files for scanning and detects malicious code accordingly. If any such malicious code is found, TAC displays the path to the theme file, the line number, and a small snippet of the suspicious code.
You do not require any special knowledge of plugins to use this plugin, just download and activate, it will do rest of the work for you automatically.
Here we have tested this plugin with two different WordPress themes and the results are as below:
Iconic One WordPress theme: There is a hardcoded link in footer for iconic one theme which is detected by this plugin.
Responsive WordPress theme: Theme is Okay.
Thus, we can say that to have a safe WordPress site it is very necessary that we have a safely coded theme. With this TAC plugin it is very easy to achieve it. Just download this plugin and test all your installed WordPress themes today before building your site.