For the year 2014, WordPress team has built a theme with specific use and that too not an ordinary one. Its a Magazine WordPress theme called Twenty Fourteen. Magazines theme are expected to have two or more menu locations, widgetized sidebars, etc. I have used this theme for many days and here is a short review of this theme after using it.
Design & UX:
Twenty Fourteen is built in such way that it will look awesome as a magazine theme. It has two menus one one the top and the other on left which makes easy to navigate through pages. Then it is included with a layout to choose for featuring your important articles in slider and grid view. Supports different post formats which makes it even more attractive.
Ease of Customization:
Following is a brief description of Customization options included in this theme. You will get settings in Appearance => Customize. Here is a brief description of the theme options with screenshots of dashboard.
From here you can change site title, tagline, colors, header image, background image, menus, there is a option to feature important articles on homepage in slider and grid layout, for this just use a tag to feature your posts. If no posts match the tag, sticky posts will be displayed instead.
Twenty Fourteen – Live Customizer – Colors
Twenty Fourteen – Live Customizer – Featured Content
Twenty Fourteen – Live Customizer
Page, Post, Page templates, Widgets and Widgetized areas options of this theme:
- Widgets – Twenty Fourteen Ephemera. This widget will list your recent Aside, Quote, Video, Audio, Image, Gallery, and Link posts and you can also choose number of posts.
- Widgetized areas – 1 primary sidebar(main sidebar that appears on the left), 1 content sidebar(additional sidebar that appears on the right.), footer widgtized area are included in this theme.
- Page templates – Fullwidth, default page with right sidebar and contributor page template .See below screenshots.
Twenty Fourteen – Page templates
Twenty Fourteen – Post formats
Twenty Fourteen – Widgets and Widgetized areas
This theme is 100% responsive to all devices ranging from desktops, laptops, tablets to mobile phones. The content gets automatically adjusted according to the screen size.
Twenty Fourteen – Contributors page template on Tablet portrait view
Twenty Fourteen – Mobile menu
Twenty Fourteen – Mobile portrait view
Page load speed:
I checked the Google PageSpeed of Twenty Fourteen official demo on Mobile and Desktop mode. The Performance on desktop is good but on mobile it is very low. It is recommended to use cache plugins with this theme.
Search Engine Optimization:
Basic search engine optimization is done such as,
- Related posts title is not in heading tag.
- On Single Post, the title is in <H1> tag.
It is advised to use Yoast SEO WordPress plugin for even better SEO for the site.
I have scanned this theme with TAC plugin for authenticity and with Theme Check plugin for WordPress standards of theme code, the result is as shown below:
Twenty Fourteen – TAC result
Twenty Fourteen – Theme Check result
This theme has passed all the two tests.
- Purely magazine theme.
- Featured content layouts is awesome feature of this theme.
- Fixed menu bar.
- It conflicts with JetPack plugin.
- Slider – doesn’t have autoplay functionality.
- No breadcrumbs supported.
- Very limited customization options.
This is a good theme as a magazine theme. Being the default theme of WordPress it has maintained all standards. This theme can be more customized by developers.